Saturday, March 26, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Green

For my rainbow scrap challenge I have been hand piecing little scraps of very old green fabric using the apple core shape. I am enjoying remembering where these bits came from...the one on the top right was from a pillow I made for my sister 16 years ago, etc.
I cut my template (you see it at the bottom of the photo) out of a cracker box and am tracing the template shape onto the back of scraps using a marking pencil.
I have been inspired by reading Cathi's blog called Quilt Obsession where she does all the quilting steps by hand. Her hand piecing is amazing - you can check out her projects here.  She makes it seem very enjoyable and easy, but I'm telling you that I am not enjoying these curves seams very much! They are fiddley and difficult, and too small for my first hand piecing project in a while.  Maybe I'll make a mug mat or two?!?
To check out the other rainbow scrap postings - click here.
These are the fabrics I'm sending to the blog visitors who correctly guessed my favorite block in the comments from this post - a little taste of spring green!

10 comments:

Mary said...

#11 but you told me that in a e-mail. I remembered. Cute apple cores.

scraphappy said...

What a great pattern, curves can be fiddley, but I imagine they are more relaxing to do by hand than machine. What a nice collection of green you have going:)

The Cozy Quilter said...

You really seem to be in a curvy quilting mood these days! I haven't touched my IOP quilt yet either... I am working on finishing off some fabric leaf bowls at the moment. They are curvy too, but in a different way!

Jackie J said...

Oh, you certainly like a challenge by hand piecing all those curves. Your favourite block was #11.

LuAnn said...

I love your apple cores; I enjoy hand piecing as well. You will have a gorgeous quilt.

Kate said...

Love the green apple cores. Mug rugs would be really cute.

Anonymous said...

Your apple cores look great. By hand is the ONLY way I'd ever piece that, but I probably never will. It looks great in green scraps. Mug rug is the perfect choice for this.

Vivian said...

I've learned from a couple negative experiences that curved piecing (at least until you get comfortable) is best done by hand. At least you'll have a cute little green project if you decide to stop at mug rug size. And you can check apple core piecing off your list of things you want to try.
Using fabrics that trigger memories is fun, isn't it?

Brenda Kay said...

These apple cores will make some lovely mugrugs. May have to try one myself.

Diana LaMarre said...

A Memory Mug Mat would be nice to use each morning.

Love all the spring green fabrics, too.